Many homeowners have PVC plumbing in their home. This is because plastic materials are much less expensive than cast iron. However, in the end, the homeowners with PVC plumbing will not experience all of the benefits that a homeowner with cast iron plumbing will. Here are four benefits cast iron plumbing has over PVC:
- Quieter: Cast iron plumbing is designed to prevent you from being able to hear the water flowing through the pipes. This is beneficial for creating a quieter home. You won't have as much worry about taking a shower, flushing the toilet, or washing your hands when other people in the house are sleeping.
- More Advanced: Cast iron plumbing is constantly advancing in design. This is because the design is always undergoing testing in order to figure out how to further prevent leaking pipes. This helps prevent major damages from occurring that will help you save money on both repairs and water damage clean up. The thick walls of cast iron plumbing are these to ensure that this type of plumbing is always more advanced than PVC, which leaks much more easily.
- Durable: Cast iron plumbing is one of the most durable. So although you are paying more to install cast iron plumbing in your home, you can expect it to last years longer than PVC plumbing. In the long run, you are going to save more money because of the longevity of cast iron plumbing.
- Better for the Environment: Plastic is much more difficult to recycle than cast iron. Cast iron is also made of 100% scrap material and once you need to replace it, which won't be for many years to come, you can be sure that it will be completely recycled and reused.
- Safer: Cast iron is fire resistant. If you were to experience a house fire, you are much safer if you have cast iron plumbing. PVC will burn more easily, which will cause the fire to spread more rapidly. In general, you and your family will have more time to leave the home before the fire becomes out of control.
By knowing these benefits of cast iron plumbing, you can see why it may be the best option for you in the long run. You can expect to save more money, as well as experience less plumbing damages in the future. This is also going to ensure that your home's value is much higher, as well since cast iron plumbing is much more desirable for potential home buyers. For more information about your plumbing system, visit Marcum Plumbing Services, Inc.